Operating under a plan or programme

Find out about export requirements and programmes used to either manage food safety risks or to assure importing countries that New Zealand products and commodities are free from specific pests and diseases.

Animal product risk management programmes

If you process or manufacture animal products you may need a risk management programme (RMP). It is a written programme designed to manage the hazards, wholesomeness and labelling of animal material and products. Hazards may be biological, chemical or physical.

Food control plan

If you sell food in New Zealand or Australia you may need to implement a food control plan. It is a risk-based approach to identifying, monitoring and managing the hazards within your food business.

Official assurance programmes

Official assurance programmes (OAPs) vary depending on the product or commodity.

Live animals and germplasm

The OAP for exporting live animals and germplasm helps ensure exporters meet the import requirements of their destination country. It gives importing governments confidence that any animal material, including live animals and germplasm (semen and embryos), from New Zealand meets the import requirements for those markets.

Fruit, vegetables, plant and wood products

OAPs for fruit, vegetables and plant products are password protected. Only registered programme participants and Independent Verification Agencies can access them.

Regulated Control Schemes

Regulated Control Schemes are used under certain circumstances to manage food-related risks. A scheme may be imposed, for example when it's not practicable to have a risk management programme, or when it's more efficient to run a national programme.

Official Organic Assurance Programme

Organic product exporters can use the Official Organic Assurance Programme (OOAP). This programme is designed to make it easier to export organic products to specific countries.

Wine Standards Management Plan

If you want to export New Zealand grape wine it must be made under a wine standards management plan (WSMP). Your WSMP must be registered with MPI and then verified by an approved verifier every 12 months.

If you are exporting wine made by someone else, you don't need your own registered WSMP, but the wine producer and packager do need one.

See the six steps to creating your wine standards management plan [PDF, 36 KB]


Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback