Operating a food safety programme (FSP)

The Food Act 2014 is now in force. Businesses operating with a Food Safety Programme have until 30 November 2018 to apply to register under the new Act. Until then, your FSP will be known as a 'deemed food control plan' (FCP) under the new Act. Find out how to operate your deemed FCP, make changes to it or cancel it.

Operating under the Food Act

The Food Act 2014 came into force on 1 March 2016. The Act applies to all new food businesses that started from that date.

Existing businesses (registered under the Food Act 1981 or Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 before 29 February 2016) are making the transition between 2016 and 2019. Find out when your type of business has to start operating under the Act.

Businesses operating under a deemed Food Control Plan (FCP) have until November 2018 to apply to transition to the new Act. Find out more about transitioning:

Normal operation

You can continue to operate under your existing deemed FCP, having the programme regularly audited by an approved verifier, until you transition. You do not have to meet new requirements under the Food Act 2014 until you transition.

Making an amendment to your FSP

If the change is a 'significant amendment', you'll need to re-register your plan. This means transitioning early to the new Food Act.

Significant amendments include changes to:

  • the place you operate from – that is changing location, or adding a new location
  • the type of food you make or processes you use
  • any other element of the plan that has an effect on safety and suitability (for example, major alterations to facilities or equipment, merging or reorganising the business, change of ownership where this impacts on the overall operation).

Other changes

If you make other changes, you must also inform your registration authority, but you won't need to re-register your plan. This includes changes to:

  • the person who owns the business
  • your verification agency
  • your contact details (particularly your email address)
  • minor changes to your products, processes or plan (this relies on you assessing the change, and judging that there are no new hazards or critical control points)
  • you must also tell your authority if you are suspending or surrendering your registration.

If your registration authority or verifier believes your change may constitute a significant amendment, you may be asked to provide further evidence or register a new plan.

Until you re-register your plan under the new Food Act, any minor changes can be notified to MPI using the FA1 form:

Conducting a product recall

FSP operators are responsible for recalling or withdrawing a product from sale if it is found to be unsafe, unfit to eat, or contaminated.

Learn more about recalls and warnings:

Cancelling your FSP registration

If you want to permanently surrender your registered FSP, you must notify MPI in writing (email is acceptable) and notify your verifier.

Revoking a business from an FSP

MPI can revoke the registration of an FSP if you have failed to comply with any condition of the exemption, or you have failed to comply with requirements under the Food Act.

Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback