Getting a vertebrate toxic agent authorised

In New Zealand, vertebrate toxic agents have to be properly authorised. Find out about the different types of authorisation.

Authorisation for VTAs

If you want to import, manufacture, sell, or use a vertebrate toxic agent (VTA) in New Zealand, it must be authorised under the ACVM Act and Regulations.

There are 3 types of authorisation for VTAs:

  • Registration: This authorises a specific trade name product (TNP). This type of authorisation applies to most VTA products.  
  • Provisional registration: This lets you do trial work to get information on a TNP beyond what you need for New Zealand registration. It also lets you determine whether the product should be registered in New Zealand.
  • Approval in special circumstances: This allows VTAs to be used under strict conditions without registration or provisional registration.

When your VTA has been authorised, you must comply with any conditions on that authorisation. These conditions may limit aspects of the following activities:

Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback