Fees and charges

You may need to pay for food and beverage-related services provided by MPI. We calculate fees and charges on a cost-recovery basis.

General information

Find out general information about the regulations governing fees and charges:

Fees and charges for risk-based programmes

If you operate under a Food Control Plan (FCP) or a Food Safety Programme (FSP), then you need to pay fees to register it and have it audited.

You also pay for registration and verification services if you operate under other risk-based programmes, such as Risk Management Programmes (RMPs) and Wine Standards Management Plans (WSMPs).

Operating under the Food Act

The Food Act 2014 came into force on 1 March 2016. The Act applies to all new food businesses that started from that date.

Existing businesses (registered under the Food Act 1981 or Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 before 29 February 2016) are making the transition between 2016 and 2019. Find out when your type of business has to start operating under the Act.

Other fees and charges

If you work in a particular food sector, you may need to pay for services specific to your food product. Find out more:

Animal products levies

MPI runs a number of industry-wide programmes that relate to the manufacture, processing, and export of animal products and material. Under the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999, operators are charged levies to cover this important work.

Find out more about these levies:

Finding fees and charges

Fees and charges, inclusive of GST, are listed on application forms and other relevant documents. In some cases, as well as a flat charge, you may need to pay an additional time-based charge for assessment or verification.

Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback