Food and beverage manufacturing

Find out the requirements you need to meet if you make or process food, beverages, or food-related products intended for sale.

Managing risk

Whether you manufacture food products under the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999 or the Food Act, you need to put a programme in place to manage food safety risks in your business.

All manufacturers must also comply with the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. This applies particularly to the labelling and composition of your products.

Operating under the APA

If you process animal products for human consumption, in many cases you need to comply with the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999 and operate under a registered Risk Management Programme (RMP). In general, the following businesses operate under an RMP:

  • primary processors of animal material and products, including dairy
  • some secondary processors, such as dual operator butchers
  • manufacturers of animal product intended for export to countries with official assurances (export certificates).

New Zealand Legislation: Animal Products Act 1999  

Refer to the food sector for the particular animal product that you manufacture to find details of the requirements you need to meet.

Find out how to develop, register, and manage your RMP:

Food and beverage products covered by the Food Act

If you manufacture any of the following food products and sell them for human consumption, you will most likely operate under the Food Act:

  • bakery and grain-based products – such as bread, pizza bases, cakes, pastry, biscuits, and cereals
  • processed fruits, vegetables, nuts, herbs, and spices – including frozen or dehydrated fruits and vegetables, or green, fruit, or pasta salads
  • beverages and distilled or fermented liquids – such as alcohol mixes, beer, vinegar, spirits, carbonated and uncarbonated drinks, smoothies, and fruit juices, but not wine
  • meals, condiments, and spreads – including dips, preserves, soups, broths, gravies, dressings, frozen and chilled meals or meal components, pies, chips, or hash browns
  • snacks, confectionary, and desserts – such as sweets, chocolate, pretzels, cassava chips, curried peas, potato chips, or extruded snacks, or water-based desserts such as jellies, ice blocks, or sorbets
  • oils, sugars, and proteins – including vegetable or other proteins, rice, soy, tofu, margarine, or sugar syrups
  • additives and nutrients.

Operating under the Food Act

The Food Act 2014 came into force on 1 March 2016. The Act applies to all new food businesses that started from that date.

Existing businesses (registered under the Food Act 1981 or Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 before 29 February 2016) are making the transition between 2016 and 2019. Find out when your type of business has to start operating under the Act.

Selling the food you manufacture or process

Do you sell the food you manufacture, either retail or wholesale? Find out more about requirements that apply to you:

Other requirements

Importing and exporting

There are requirements for using imported ingredients in your products and for manufacturing products intended for export.

Bakery and grain-based products

If you manufacture baked goods, such as bread, there are additional requirements you need to meet.

Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback