Meat and game processing

If you hunt, catch, supply, farm, or process meat for sale in New Zealand or for export, you need to meet food safety requirements specific to the activities you undertake.

Requirements for meat and game

If you work in the meat industry, the legal requirements you need to meet depend on the kind of business you're in. The majority of operators need to meet requirements under the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999. 

Requirements under the APA apply to:

  • primary processors – who operate under a Risk Management Programme (RMP)
  • animal material depots for wild mammals – which must be registered and verified
  • dual operator butchers – who operate under a Risk Management Programme (RMP) and who can use a Code of Practice (COP)
  • suppliers of wild or game estate animals to primary processors – the supplier must be certified by MPI
  • processors of meat and meat products who are exporting and require an official assurance under the APA
  • farmers and veterinarians using hormone growth promotants (HGPs) – who comply with a Regulated Control Scheme (RCS).

You must also:

  • participate in the residues monitoring programme, which tests for contaminants in meat (under a Regulated Control Scheme)
  • meet general export requirements and any overseas market access requirements (OMARs), if exporting.

Verification of businesses under the APA

Meat industry businesses operating under the APA need to have their operations verified by an agency or person recognised under the APA. Find out about becoming an MPI-recognised verifier:


Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback