Rendering fish material

If you render fish material to produce fish oil or fish meal for animal consumption, you may need a risk management programme (RMP).

Fish material can be broken down (rendered) using heat or pressure to produce fish oil or fish meal. Rendering of fish material may be carried out on fishing vessels or by land-based renderers.

Find out about the export requirements for renderers of fish material:

RMPs for rendering

Under the Animal Products Act 1999, most fish rendering must be carried out under an RMP, with some exemptions.

Learn the requirements for developing, registering and operating your RMP:

Rendering code of practice (COP)

The Rendering COP developed by MPI in consultation with industry can help you prepare a successful RMP.

Renderers exempt from operating under an RMP

Fish taken in New Zealand's exclusive economic zone that is not landed in New Zealand and not called product of New Zealand is excluded from the Animal Products Act and doesn't need an RMP. This exemption is provided under clause 4 of the Animal Products (Exemptions and Inclusions) Order 2000.

If you render fish on a registered limited processing fishing vessel (LPFV), you don't need an RMP. Instead, you should use the LPFV Regulated Control Scheme (RCS).

Learn more about the LPFV RCS:

Other rendering requirements

If you render fish material for animal consumption, as well as developing an RMP you will need to comply with the requirements of the Animal Products Notice: Specifications for Products Intended for Animal Consumption.

Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback