Affected farmers can claim compensation where MPI's exercise of legal powers (under the Biosecurity Act 1993) has caused them a verifiable loss.

How compensation works

Compensation may be paid to people who have incurred a verifiable loss as a result of directions they are given by MPI under the Biosecurity Act to manage Mycoplasma bovis.

Farmers that are directed to have animals culled, or their farm operations restricted under movement controls, may be eligible for compensation.

Eligibility to claim compensation

If you can show that MPI’s exercise of powers has caused you loss, then you may be eligible to be paid compensation.

Yes - you can claim if all 4 of the following criteria are satisfied:

  1. MPI has exercised powers to eradicate or manage an organism, and
  2. The exercise of powers has caused a loss to you, because either:
    • the damage or destruction of your property, or
    • restrictions being imposed on the movement or disposal of your goods, and
  3. You have been unable to mitigate your loss by taking every step reasonable in the circumstances, and
  4. The loss can be verified.

No - you cannot claim if:

1. The loss was suffered before the exercise of powers commenced, or

2. The loss was suffered more than a year before the claim was submitted, or

3. You failed to comply with biosecurity law in a serious or significant way, or in a way that contributed to the presence or the spread of the organism, or

4. Your goods are unauthorised or uncleared (i.e. imported items which had not been cleared).

Compensation claim form

If you're eligible, you'll need to complete a compensation form and submit proof of your loss. Check the guidance documents to ensure you fill out the form correctly.

Download the compensation application form [DOC, 244 KB]

Once I submit my form, what happens next?

Once MPI has received your claim, we will check it for completeness, and may need to come back to you for further information. We cannot fully assess a claim until all the necessary information has been provided.

Once your claim has been allocated to an assessor at MPI, they will be your first point-of-contact if you have any enquiries, including the progress of your claim.

The time it then takes to assess and authorise your payment will depend on a number of different factors, such as the information you have provided with your claim, and the value of the claim. While we make all endeavours to pay you as soon as we can, please be aware that once we have made our assessment any decision will require the appropriate internal and external approvals to endorse and authorise your claim.

Find out more

For general information about claiming compensation contact the MPI compensation co-ordinator:

  • Phone: 04 894 0055
  • Email:
  • Fax: 04 894 0720
  • Post: Ministry for Primary Industries, PO Box 2526, Wellington 6140
  • Courier: Ministry for Primary Industries, Pastoral House, 25 The Terrace, Wellington.
Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback